Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Quick Rundown...The Birth Story

Sorry this has to be quick today but I was anxious to get this blog out.

Monday July 16,2012, I woke up for my usual 530am pee break, did my business, crawled back into bed, positioned my pillow and passed gas. It was a relieving fart, should have known it felt too good.

Having your water break feels just like that. I felt as if a balloon inside of me filled with water had just gone sploosh.

I sat up immediately and told my husband that my water had broken and to get ready.  I remember him saying this was it. 

Just the day before we had finished one of my belly casts and had my teenage nephew over to help with the small things we wanted to get done before that week so we could try to enjoy the rest of the pregnancy.  The babies had other plans.

Husband went to the guest bedroom to tell my nephew that my water has broken and we were leaving.  Turns out he didn't hear one word Husband was saying.

By 620am, we were at the ER at our hospital and by 700am I was in a gown lying in 'labor and delivery'.

I wasn't contracting and I wasn't dilated. Never will know why my water broke but I begin to think that things might not have gone so well, in a matter of speaking, if I had gone into full labor on my own.

854am Roman was born via c-sec 4lbs 15
855am Asha 4lbs3

Both screaming and breathing on their own. I told my husband to stay with the babies. To follow them wherever they took them.

I think that was when I realized things were starting to go wrong.
As the nurses brought each baby over to me and pressed them to my cheek, I heard the Dr. yell out that I needed blood to one of the nurses and my blood type. Th anesthesiologist spoke to me and told me I would be going to sleep. I remember the Dr. telling me that if they couldn't get my uterus to contract and the bleeding to stop they would have to take my uterus. The rest is a blur and I woke up in recovery with Husband telling me that I was snoring.

I had a hysterectomy to save my life. According to the doctor, I had lost over 3 liters of my blood and my uterus failed to contract. Later a doctor told me it may have been due to how one of my placentas had attached. I still had my ovaries and everything else. No hormones to be replaced just no period because i had no uterus.

I'll update you all once i have my followup appt.

Kinda a hard recovery for me but the babies never went to the NICU. They spent whatever time I was able to take care of them with me.  Asha had a day of phototherapy for jaundice and both babies were put on a higher calorie formula.

I came home on Friday July 20th and the babies followed me home the next day.
It's unbelievable that they let babies that Small come home if everything else is fine. Both babies scored 9's when born.

It's still a bit difficult for me to get around but my legs are much better and the swelling in my body has gone down. Pumping and building up milk supplies for the babies.

Okay, time for pictures.








3 comments:

Just T said...

Wow the babies are just beautiful. What little angels. Thank you for taking the time to post this blog. I have been worried about you and wondering how the babies are doing. I know it is easier said then done when you have twins, but please try to rest up and let your body heal.

Again, they are so beautiful!

Lola said...

They're so beautiful!!!!!! Congratulations again Babette!!!! :):):)

Emily @ablanket2keep said...

They are beautiful! Congratulations again!