Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What I've Learned About Ovulation ,From one TTCer To Another

I promised to come back soon with more of my brain clutter.

Again I am not a doctor or professional, just a chick passing on my experiences.

Just temping, for me,can be confusing.
I usually use the temperatures on my chart for reference.
If done right it can show when you ovulated, if you ovulated, or about when you will ovulate the next cycle.
It can pinpoint ovulation but usually after the ovulation day has occurred.
For me, my temps would dip right before I ovulated. Once my temps shot up and stayed up, I was pretty sure I ovulated.
This is why you may need to rely on other methods of predicting your fertile times.


Good CM helps the sperm swim to where they need to go.
CM or cervical mucus around your fertile time may resemble egg whites or get slicker.
In blunt terms, you will feel wet, OK
Some women don't get this from time to time.
There are a few "fertility friendly" lubricants you can use that help
Staying well hydrated helps and some supplements I mentioned before also help.
Sometimes using an over the counter Gufenesin-only tablet (for chest congestion expectorant only, you don't want the decongestant) once a day leading up to your Ovulation time can help get you that good slick cm.

It can help you hubbies too.
During my IUIs it was discovered that my husband had very viscous semen.
It would take forever for the lab to "wash" or separated the sperm from the seminal fluid.
The nurse instructed him to take the Gufenesin once a day leading up to my ovulation.
It was supposed to help his guys (spermies) break free and swim better.
Remember to stay well hydrated when taking this medicine.

If the second line on your OPK is as dark as or darker than the control line, you will probably be ovulating soon if not in the next couple of days.
This usually means it's time to get busy and babydance.

Some women can check the position of their cervices and tell if they are ovulating.
I was aware of my cervix but didn't make a record of it.
Here's some basic info http://www.justmommies.com/articles/cervical-charting.shtml

Some women are pros at using a scope to look at their saliva to predict ovulation. I think one of my blog buddies is good at this.
It's probably cheaper but I never did it.

My moods also help me predict my fertile time.
I become really touchy feely cuddly around my fertile time, or sometimes very randy!

I get ovulation pains around my ovulation.
I don't get menstrual cramps so I can't compare the two.
My ovulation pain is usually a pressure from inside, a dull aching around my ovaries.
The best way I can describe it, is "achy insides".
With A.R.T cycles, whether IUI or IVF, these pains usually occur when your follies get big or ready to release an egg. With my A.R.T. cycles, it  was greatly increased, greatly. It was painful to beardown to go tinkle.


Once we get pass all the temping, charting, peeing on OPK's, etc,etc, finally it's time to do the babydance!

I try to do it before, during, and after the time I expect to ovulate.
Just to make sure I got all bases covered.

A few years ago, I learned about lunar ovulation or the Jonas method.
It's a theory that a woman can spontaneously ovulate at other times based on the moon phases.
A theory that women have 2 fertility cycles.
There used to be free charts and downloads.
It's now a pay service. I think I may have a copy of mine saved somewhere.
You needed to know your exact date and time of birth, and I think even location on some of the old websites.
There was a chart that showed the probability of whether you would conceive a male or female child, the probability of a healthy pregnancy, and the days of your lunar ovulation.

Seems crazy but it was kinda nice to think that you have and extra chance each month.
I think I may have had my actual ovulation coincide once with the lunar chart.
For a few cycles, I did ovulate on the full moon and that had nothing to do with my predicted 'lunar ovulation" day.
This is what used to be the free site. http://lunarconception.com/


Sometimes, all things seem in order and you just don't ovulate at this time.
A few times I have gotten all the green lights and ovulation didn't occur at that time.
Many times that OPK  test line was almost there then fades only to return a few days later.
This usually happens to me if I have an illness.
It was like my body took a step back to deal with the illness and then resumed its planned course.
My ovulation was delayed once by a case of food poisoning. I did ovulate that month, but eight days later than my usual ovulation date.


Well I think this is getting long, and my brain is conking out on me.
I'll come back in a few days with some more brain junk I've accumulated during my TTC journey

Please feel free to comment or post any tips or info on ovulation you would like to share.

No comments: