Monday, April 4, 2011

Update! Mom might be home today.

Please excuse any mistakes. I'm running on fumes right now.
 
It was determined that my mother has an infection on her liver. She had an outpatient procedure about a month ago on her liver. Doctors still aren't sure if that was the cause.
 
An abscess was aspirated last week and a drainage tube was inserted. She also has a catheter to administer antibiotics. She is looking and feeling much better. Actually feeling better that she did weeks leading up to the emergency room visit.
 
Because the antibiotics have to be administered twice a day through the catheter for a few weeks, the doctors originally wanted to place her in an extended care facility for the duration or the treatment. 
 
They have since decided that she would be able to return home with  nursing visits.  My older brother and I will be trained to administer the meds. I've been scrambling this week to make the arrangements. My older sister volunteered to come stay with my mother for a brief period of time also.  She just arrived in town this morning.
 
We expect my mom to be released from the hospital this afternoon.
 
Although the hospital is only 3 minutes away from my house, it has been a hectic week.
 
My husband picked up a bit of a bug from sitting in the ER waiting room on Monday and has been sick and home from work.
 
We've been taking care of my mom's/our Boston Terrier this week. Saturday morning I awoke to find my husband with the carpet shampooer, the dog, and dog excrement smeared all over one of the few carpeted areas in our home. 
 
 He was operating the shampooer with and empty canister of carpet cleaner. 
 
OOh, I wish I could have just ran away at that point. 
 
My dear husband had been overfeeding the dog without my knowledge.  Poor doggie only weighs 17lbs and he was feeding her as if she was a German shepherd. The dog was ashamed and freaking out ,he just looked confused. Now the poor dog was sick too!
 
 
Thank you for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. Mom's doing much better and it seems like we have things under control a bit.
 
My mother brought me to tears the other day. She said "God will bless you with a good daughter just like you."
 
I start my new IVF cycle this weekend.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Oh my Gosh, what a week!!! How you keep it all together, I have no idea. I am glad your sister is coming to help care for your mom, that should help alleviate some of the pressure from you. I am so glad she is doing better and is being released, thank God!

Your moms comment to you made me choke up.... Hope hubs is feeling better soon...and hope this is a better weel for all of you. xoxoxox