Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Had to rush my mom to the hospital

Late yesterday afternoon, I received a call from my older brother that my mom was shaking uncontrollably.

She had been working in her kitchen and started to shake as if she was shivering. I rushed to my parents house to find her shaking under the pile of blankets my brother had placed on her.

Of course she refused to let me take her to the hospital. Of course I took her anyway.

My mother is 82 yrs old and very independent and active.
She survived colon cancer, has COPD, and recently had a stint placed in her liver to open a bile duct.
She never smoked (my dad did) or drank. We think she is a cruel example of the dangers of second hand smoke.

Her shaking had subsided by the time we arrived at the hospital.
After 8 hours in the emergency room, it was determined that her potassium was extremely low and also her blood count. She was admitted this morning at 4am. She is feeling much better today but the mystery remains of what happened to cause her blood levels to drop.

I'm petrified right now. Outwardly I am coping with it well, but, I am terrified of what they might find.

Trying to remain strong.
Luckily my dear husband is working in town so I have some sort of support system.

I'm just really scared.
I am so tired of bad news.
almost break out into bad sweats just seeing a medical professional approach me.

Please keep her in your thoughts and maybe say a little prayer for her.

2 comments:

Kez71 said...

Hugs Babette. I hope she will be ok after a rest and some potassium.xxx

Kim said...

I'm so sorry Babatte, how terrifying. I am praying for you and Momma bear. Hopefully it was a fluke and nothing serious. xoxoxoxox